Mom's Blog

Where I ramble endless wisdom out of my very core... galoshes may be required.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

HEY, WANNA PLAY A GAME?

Hey Everyone:

I was too busy today to post on high speed, so you'll probably all read this in the morning. Today was the 15th anniversary on Grandpa Maxon's death, so we all went to lunch together at Panda. Well everyone we could find! In attendance were Dad and I, Grandma Maxon, of course, as well as John and Sarah. There was a water emergency in Sackets and they got a free day off from school. As usual fortune cookies were delivered at the conclusion of the meal and distributed around the table. Sarah took two (insert your favorite Sarah slam here, college siblings). I am going to write out the six fortunes and invite you to match them up to their recipient. The winner gets a giant bar of candy - your choice - delivered to your door. Email responses to me at this address: csmaxon@hotmail.com. If we have ties, I shall have to award extra points for the early entries. If you were at our lunch, I have to disqualify you. Everyone else, have at it.
Ready:

1. A good memory is one trained to forget the trivial.

2. Statistics are no substitute for judgment.

3. Simplicity and clarity should be the theme in your dress.

4. Better ask twice than lose yourself once.

5. All the efforts you are making will ultimately pay off.

6. Bide your time, for success is near.

It was fun today, so I hope you have some fun, too. We talked about Grandpa a bit, and reminisced a little. My thought for today was that life is precious, and time is unforgiving. So I would ask each one of you, to call or drop a note to your Grandmother or Grandfather, or both, or all four if you're that blessed...and just say hi or maybe even share a favorite memory with them. If you're an older blog surfer like me, call your Mom and/or Dad. Write to a favorite uncle. Don't let the week pass without making a new memory. You will never regret it, and they may never forget it.


Know you are loved,

Mom



Sonny Says: I miss my Mom! She's an old goat, but I love her! Oh and speaking of old goats...HAPPY BIRTHDAY (tomorrow) THOMAS!!!



What Do I Know?
sara groves

I have a friend who just turned eighty-eight
and she just shared with me that she's afraid of dying.
I sit here years from her experience and try to bring her comfort.
I try to bring her comfort
But what do I know? What do I know?
She grew up singing about the glory land,
and she would testify how Jesus changed her life.
It was easy to have faith when she was thirty-four,
but now her friends are dying, and death is at her door.
Oh, and what do I know? Really, what do I know?

I don't know that there are harps in heaven,
Or the process for earning your wings.
I don't know of bright lights at the ends of tunnels,
Or any of those things.

She lost her husband after sixty years,
and as he slipped away she still had things to say.
Death can be so inconvenient.
You try to live and love. It comes and interrupts.
And what do I know? What do I know?

I don't know that there are harps in heaven,
Or the process for earning your wings.
I don't know of bright lights at the ends of tunnels,
Or any of those things.

But I know to be absent from this body is to be present with the Lord,
and from what I know of him, that must be pretty good.
Oh, I know to be absent from this body is to be present with the Lord,
and from what I know of him, that must be very good.

12 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home