Mom's Blog

Where I ramble endless wisdom out of my very core... galoshes may be required.

Friday, November 04, 2005

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

Willie Nelson joins John Denver in my Title Tribute to Country Legends of the 70's 2005...

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is Part 3 of 3. You need to go back two days to find the beginning if you want it to make sense.


Mom and I pulled into Black River around 1:04 AM, and were greeted by her many cats, who get very angry when mommy goes away. I went to bed on her couch right away, worrying that they were going to keep me up all night and sure enough a few minutes later I awoke to a persistent evenly spaced cat-voiced "Mwroow! (Mississippi), Mwroow!(Mississippi), Mwroow! (Mississippi), Mwroow!(Mississippi) Mwroow! (well you get the picture)". I wondered if I was the one who had bought Mom that stupid hideous alarm clock, but then I heard mom say, "Well, it's 7:00..." and suddenly the meowing stopped as Mom began feeding the noisy felinious alarm. What! I was confused! It was morning already?

We sipped our coffee as I called the prison again to share our Albany trip details and to make sure Joe was really there. Yes, he was. Could we come up today and see him? Yes, we could. Were the visiting hours different in the hospital part of the prison? No, they weren't. "Ok, we're on our way", I said, and hung up, but first I recorded the names of the two gentlemen I spoke with. Then I called Sherry. She was waiting for a call back from a Utica area non-emergency fire and rescue guy who was trying to track down the gas station in Utica, where she had probably left her checkbook and all of her ID. The gentleman she spoke with (Joe M.) told her no one was answering the phone at the gas station, but he knew right where it was and he would personally drive over there when he got off work at 8 AM. He would pick up the checkbook, call her to let her know and then drop it in the mail for her. One of her concerns was whether she should have given her phone number and address to him. Was he really a nice guy, or was he on his way over there to start up a new internet business with my sister's personal information? She decided to trust God, since she had prayed for His help before calling, and therefore expect that good news would be forthcoming. This whole balancing being as wise as serpents but as meek as lambs is hard sometimes. And as we talked she expressed again her desire to see Joe with us. I told her I'd call her right back.

I quickly dialed back the prison and asked for the watch commander by name (Lt. Ginnette) and explained the circumstances of the last 5 days, ending with telling him we were headed up to see my brother this morning. Then I explained about my sister's ID, and he said, "Well what ID does she have?" After telling him all she had was her birth certificate he crossly said "Bring it!", and went back to his busy day of abusing subordinates and terrifying inmates and their family members. Yah! I called Sherry back and asked her if she wanted to go and headed for Sofie when she said "Sure!". The hour trip to Dekalb passed quickly and soon Mom and I were in her kitchen watching her work the phones between her bank, the Visa people, and the mysterious gas station which was still not answering its phone. It was 9:15 AM and the Joe M. had not called back yet. We gave her the option of staying behind to ease her stress levels, but she wanted to go, so we took off after a quick stop at her bank to get the paperwork started on cancelling her checking account.

Dannemora is 2 1/2 hours from Dekalb, and when we arrived, it was 12:45 - lunch time. The check in guard didn't really understand our request, and began making the first of many phone calls to verify our story. No one had told us anything except that we were going to be allowed to visit Joe in the prison infirmary. Evidently that had never been done before. B. Goodwin (Bruce to his friends) said civilians are NEVER allowed onto the prison grounds. Only prisoners well enough to walk to the Visitor's Room under their own power are allowed family visits. But after his last phone call to Lt. Ginnette (I provided the name) B. informed us that his boss said it was ok (it was then I knew that the Lt. and I had secretly bonded during our early morning conversation), and so B. then said he was going to do everything in his power to get us through processing as quickly and efficiently as possible. B. also said he had been there for 20 years and he'd never seen such a thing happen before - EVER!

We were assigned our own guard (T. Jennings - to whom I mentally assigned the name Toby because there just aren't enough Tobys in the world, I think) who would take us over to the infirmary building. He was to stay with us until the visit was over and then accompany us back. We got through the metal detectors with very little trouble (why? - because we know better now!) and soon we were loaded into a Prison Van (ewww) and Toby was driving us up to the biggest gate I'd ever seen in my life. The trip was short but longer than it should've been because Toby had to tell everyone, at every gate and every stop point window, why we were being taken onto a Maximum Security Prison grounds. In case you're wondering why I said Joe was in a minimum security a couple of days ago - it's because Dannemora has an Annex next door, where Joe usually is kept, that has a lower designation. And congratulations for paying attention and making it this far. I'll have a little something for you if you let me know you made it through the whole story...

We drove onto the prison grounds and around in a loop to the back and down a sudden dip that felt just like a free fall on a roller coaster. We swung into a parking space in the back of a building where our van was unlocked and we got out and made our way up to the back door. We waited a few minutes for a buzzer release that would allow us entrance. I don't know why it took so long, but I'm glad Toby was there, and that he had a gun. I can't say that I was afraid, but honestly we were out of our element, and these places probably have rules for a reason. After the buzzer finally buzzed, we walked single file into the prison infirmary building and climbed a flight or two of stairs before we were held again at another check point for about five more minutes. We were explained again (Toby was getting good at it by now), and then led past some curious prisoners to a large empty room that had only a table, 2 benches and a couple of chairs in it. Toby wheeled his own chair in, and he took a seat on it. We sat down to wait as well. Suddenly in walked Joe. He appeared a bit irritated to see us there.

We all hugged him without thinking, because we usually can at the beginning of our normal visits. Toby didn't draw his weapon, but he did get us seated quickly on separate sides of the table. After a few minutes we determined that Joe was irritated because he felt like his situation had caused us to have to be in these circumstances. He didn't want us to have to be here in this place, but after ten minutes into our 90 minute visit, he was relaxed and was fine. We explained everything, he explained everything. I couldn't believe he was walking around, and not in bed. We discussed all of the gory medical procedures, and all the meds he would have to take from now on. I'm on a couple already, too. We discussed Albany and the Mall and the checkbook debacle. We bored Toby to tears. But finally we were all able to discuss everything that had happened in the past week, face to face. When we said goodbye we talked about trying to get up once more weather permitting, before winter hits. He's in the mountains, so winter is very relative. He said he'd be back in his regular minimum place the next day, so our next visit would be less stressful and dangerous, but that if it had to be in the Spring then so be it. They led us all out together and we were held at the checkpoint while Joe was taken back to his bed. As he was passed through the doorway, he turned and waved goodbye again, smiling as he went. Mom and Sherry weren't looking, because they were keeping wary eyes on the unfamiliar sights. But he saw me see him...I love you Joe.

We took our trip back out of the prison without incident. Back downstairs, back into the van (ewww), up the dip which Sherry and I did like a roller coaster with our hands in the air saying, Woooo...(Toby gave us such a loooook, but I think he smiled), back around the loop and across the grounds and through the bigggg old gate, and over to the processing buildings. Once again my finely honed navigational skills came in handy as Mom and Sherry kind of got lost and tried to find our locker and purses one building too soon. We had one more close call after we had gathered up our stuff. As we were standing at the last door waiting for the guard to press a buzzer and let us out, my sister reached over and pulled it ohmpen, oops I mean open. I cringed as Bruce (we were friends now) dove for the door shouting, "NO!". I was expecting sirens to go off, followed by a mandatory 24 hour lockdown and investigation, but instead the door merely ohmpened up without a hitch. Bruce quickly shut it, and instructed the guard again to buzzer it open as required by NYS regulation 66445.890B. We left them talking about how that door wasn't supposed to ohmpen like that, but it was the third time this week it had! Ahhh, do you feel safe, now?

Well that's all there is to that story. To wrap up, we drove Sherry home to Dekalb Junction and found no one had ever called about her checkbook all day. Joe M. had seemingly fallen off the face of the earth. No one could ever find a working phone number for that gas station, and my sister had to cancel all of her cards, and order all new ID's. It's been three full days and it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. I'm still praying it will though. You can too. I'll let you know if it shows up.

We had made plans to do dinner and a show with Rose and Mike that night, so we drove back to Canton where Sofie began complaining once again about the lack of petrol in her tank. We pulled into Stewarts where the price was only $2.49! And it was my turn to pay! Woot! I got a great price, the lowest in five counties. I'm still driving on that tank, by the way. We then drove around a bit waiting for Mike to finish up at his Bible Studly, and then picked him up and got subs at Subway on the way to the SUNY Potsdam gym, where Rose had asked us earlier to pick her up at 7. We were running a bit late arriving at 7:10. Unfortunately she didn't come out until 7:50. Mike ate his chips and called his Mom. I had no chips, but my Mom was right next to me. :) I do love my Mom. This week had been stressful, but I had a great time with her and my sister, despite the circumstances.

After Rose came out (released 50 minutes late due to a mandatory meeting about Drinking rules during BB season), we hurried over to her dorm in time for the gilmore girls. And instead of the exciting new episode where "Jess Was Back!", we were treated to a rerun. I didn't care. I hadn't seen it yet, so we all ate our subs and I enjoyed the company. Mike and Rose squabbled over frappacinos because I didn't bring enough, but they appeared to come to a fair negotiation before the show was over. I emptied Alyssa's garbage (again. What? I like doing it!) and brought in the rest of the stuff she had requested, along with some fun stress balls Mom had gotten for the three of them in Massena. Then it was time to go. Mom and I dropped off Mike on our way back to Watertown, and I drove her back to Black River where our adventure officially came to an end around 11PM.

Thanks for sharing my adventure with me. It did take some time and patience on your part if you made it this far, but rest assured, if you ever have an adventure I shall be the first in line to hear all about it. Also, if you need me to come and rescue you or just see you for a little while, Sofie and I await your call. You have to comment and let me know what you thought if you want a prize boys and girls. Don't dawdle...marked down halloween candy doesn't have a long shelf life around here...

Know you are loved...


God Bless...
Mom

7 Comments:

  • At Saturday, November 05, 2005 3:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work. And yes, yes, it is 3:55 am. Thank you for asking!

     
  • At Saturday, November 05, 2005 7:57:00 AM, Blogger R's Mom said…

    I really was thinking that!

    I don't trust these clocks all over the place that tell some weird angry time in CT...so I was wondering if it was the actual time or not. So. thanks for clearing that up.

    And get to bed at a reasonable hour would you? You're leading worship this week, and Mildred will be there.

     
  • At Saturday, November 05, 2005 10:23:00 AM, Blogger R's Mom said…

    BTW everyone, I went back and edited all three days of the adventure for clarity and such (no it's not any shorter!). If you have some time on your hands let me know what you think.

     
  • At Sunday, November 06, 2005 6:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well, I've thought about it. And I think for me the only real thing I can say is, "Amazing!!!" An amazing story indeed. And you are such a descriptive, thoughtful and eloquent writer. I could picture the whole scene and trip. I know how it is to be in max security but not a prisoner. It's amazing the security that firebases have.

     
  • At Sunday, November 06, 2005 7:49:00 PM, Blogger R's Mom said…

    Thanks Bryce:

    I have a little something for you...

     
  • At Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:07:00 PM, Blogger Rose said…

    "but they appeared to come to a fair negotiation before the show was over"

    Fib, fib, fibber!!!!! The doofus took almost all of 'em. But he bought me dinner tonight, so I guess I'm over it.

     
  • At Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:59:00 PM, Blogger R's Mom said…

    The operative word was "appeared"...A lady never takes her squabbles into the Public arena. She shouldn't have to if she has any REAL negotiation skills.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home