Mom's Blog

Where I ramble endless wisdom out of my very core... galoshes may be required.

Monday, April 17, 2006

SOME THINGS (NEVER) CHANGE

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

I had the interesting opportunity to take a walk a few weeks ago. It was interesting because it was a walk that I had made before, 40 years ago. I don't feel as though 40 years have gone by, but fortunately for all of us someone else was keeping track while I was off doing other things. It was an opportunity, because in this day and age, we rarely have the time required for such indulgences. Times have changed.

I took my car in for an oil change at Cheney Tire on State St. in Watertown, and decided to spend the 40 minutes of waiting time finding some coffee. I ended up walking west on State Street to have breakfast with the King. On the way, I remembered almost to the day 40 years I made the same walk to school from N. Rutland (next to Cheney's) two and half blocks to Mechanic Street, where I was in the fourth grade at State Street School. It is now Wendy's, which sits smack dab next to Burger King. I remembered the earlier walk because my birthday was coming up, and I can still recall the walk home to 122 North Rutland St. when I turned 8 on March 28, 1966. We had just moved back to NY from Galveston, TX, and as soon as I got home, presents or some sort of surprise awaited me. Ooooh, I'd hoped it was another kitty. Things don't change that much!

I kept track as I walked - partially to distract my body from the unfamiliar attempt at exercise - of the places that were the same and ones that were different. The buildings were almost all the same. John E. Grey Insurance was still there, anchoring North Rutland with it's big white porch, with the Salvation Army on the other side. Ryan's Jet Gas was still across the street, their formally "cutting edge" arrow rocket ship remained unchanged (unfortunately), the grocery store (Great American instead of Loblaws) sans the corner drug store (Bakers, where we bought all of our Mom's Mother's Day presents), and the funeral home (where all the Sweet's bury their dead - including my Dad when I was 16). Back on my side of the street (the north side of State St.) was still Parkview Cleaners (although they still neither have a view of the park, or anywhere to park) and the Jreck sub shop (THE original!). Still love the subs but I can't eat a whole one anymore. Some things do change...

The next block didn't fare as well. There's an empty lot on the corner of High and State that used to sport a small Mom and Pop grocery (I think it was Swan's). It was a car parts store after that I believe. Now it's just dirt. Very dirty dirt. Next door was/is Pla-Mor Lanes (where I bowled my first game-140!!!), and then a tanning place that used to be Dandee Donuts (yum $1.00 for a dozen day-old donuts after Mom and Barb abd I did my Sunday paper route!). Across the street were pizza places and bars - pretty much the same except for their names, and Marine Midland Bank, which has changed hands many many times, becoming at last an Asian Food market. I remember when I took the kids there for $3.00 haircuts when it was the School of Cosmetology. A Custom modular home business was next - unique because it was/is on both sides of the street (their sign assured me that they had been in business for over fifty years), then a hardware store (where my Matron of Honor works) that grew to take over a music supply place next door. Back on the other side of the street, the bus station was still chugging out a schedule of runs so to speak. I remember many times taking Greyhound home for the weekend from RIT. It's Adirondack Trailways now. Rose has been making use of their low rates of late. So sometimes thingsdon't change that much...

The next block began with a wicker furniture place and a car dealership on the south side of the street, and Wendy's (State Street School) and Burger King on the north side: BK used to be a factory (Faichney's?) that made thermometers. Mom worked there, while we went to school next door. Wow. So many memories. I walked to school and home many times, alone (no busses or parents), even though Arthur Shawcross was living in my city and serially killing children my age. It's unthinkable today. Perhaps illegal. You get arrested for leaving kids in the car unsupervised today. We were left alone all the time in the car. And they were standard shifts, which we could and did, inevitably knock out of gear sending us rolling into traffic! Wow - times have changed.

But anyhooo - I wasn't nearly as excited on this day as I walked back with my coffee and breakfast sandwich. Even though I did have my oil change to look forward to, it just wasn't the same as that kitty 40 years ago. I couldn't decide if it was change that I didn't like, or just that life goes so fast and is so unforgiving to dawdlers. I don't know...do you?

Here's what I do know though. The One who doesn't change. Jesus. He won't change His mind or move away or become something else, or leave me or forsake me. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. And I am so glad.

Because I hate (most) change.

Every Minute
Sara Groves

I am long on staying I am slow to leave
Especially when it comes to you my friend
You have taught me slow down And to prop up my feet
It's the fine art of being who I am
And I can't figure out Why you want me around

I'm not the smartest person I have ever met
But somehow that doesn't matter
No it never really mattered to you at all
And at the risk of wearing out my welcome

At the risk of self-discovery
I'll take every moment And every minute that you'll give me

And I can think of time when families all lived together
Four generations in one house
And the table was full of good food And friends and neighbors
That's not how we like it now
Cause if you sit at home you're a loser

Couldn't you find anything better to do
Well no I couldn't think of one thing
I would rather waste my time on than sitting here with you
And at the risk of wearing out my welcome

At the risk of self-discovery
I'll take every moment And every minute that you'll give me

And I wish all the people I love the most
Could gather in one place
And know each other and love each other well
And I wish we could all go camping And lay beneath the stars

And have nothing to do and stories to tell
We'd sit around the campfire
And we'd make each other laugh remembering when
You're the first one I'm inviting
Always know that you're my friend
And at the risk of wearing out my welcome

At the risk of self-discovery
I'll take every moment And every minute that you'll give me.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home